Mag Square

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

in the spotlight: belinda pieris

Belinda Pieris followed her heart and ever since has been bringing us beautiful pieces of art, see more at Malvern!
Tell us a bit about your business and what inspired you to start your business?
I started my business in 2005, keen to follow my dream of the creative freedom to produce beautiful but practical pieces of art. I have always been inspired by the mystique and aesthetics of the east. Drawing on eastern influences, I like to mix these aesthetics with a western approach to create designs with exotic textures. I like to take an artisan approach to create decorative leather wallets, bags & jewellery and home wares.  The work has a rich textile base featuring embroideries, laser cut treatments, applique with large craft stitches, studs, quilting and screen-printing.  Colours are rich muddy tones mixed with striking bright highlights and deep matt lowlights.  The product feels soft and tactile; it wears well and is highly functional.


Favourite part of the job?
I love the creative side of the design process and seeing my ideas come to life from drawings on paper to a finished product.  I also love meeting people who love their Belinda Pieris wallet and show it off as one of their everyday best-loved accessories.
What’s your own persona style?
I really love the style of the 20’s and 30’s.  I love to layer clothes that are comfortable and hang well.  I love rich colours and prints; I wear a lot of Vixen designs.  I also collect interesting designer jewellery, which love to wear.

If money where no object what would buy?
I would love to collect Art Deco Bakelite jewellery; truly beautiful art.
Where would we find you on a typical weekend?
My weekends are usually filled with family activities.  I have two children, Oliver who is two and a half and Jasmine who is seven months old. My husband Benjamin and I love to hang out and play with the kids on Saturday morning but most weekends we are rushing around from one party or lunch to the next.
What other designers inspire you?
I am really inspired by friend and mentor Georgia Chapman designer of Vixen.  I love that she has created a business that is hands on and creative, that allows her to experiment with her creative ideas.  I love the little shop she has created in Gertrude Street, Fitzroy; something I would love to do some day.



What business advice would you give to those just starting out?
Be clear about what it is you want out of your career and your personal life and always carry this plan with you in the back of your mind.  To follow your dreams is a wonderful and exciting thing; it is also one of the most difficult things you will ever do. It is important to be sure you are up for the challenge.

What is your website?
http://www.belindapieris.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear your thoughts ...